*** FREE SHIPPING FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY***
Fits the following transmission: t56. (designed to work best with the gm t56 from 93-97 camaro or firebird. Other t56 transmissions may require installer modifications.) Finished in a black powder coat. Includes new mounting hardware. This crossmember installed into 1978-1983 vehicles requires the use of a G Force frame extension p/n FE-100, purchased separately. Purchase transmission mount separately. p/n GMTM.
p/n RCG-T56 installation notes:
- on all 78-88 G body crossmembers, the passenger side hump is the taller of the two.
- on some installations, it is necessary to remove the catalytic converter heat shield from the passenger side floor pan.
- this generation of vehicle is prone to body bushing compression, even with some southern vehicles. If the floor pan is too close to allow installation, it may be necessary to replace the body bushings. Some customers have reported that with slight interference instances, they have been able to gently lift the floor pan with the assist of a floor jack and a wood cushion, thus providing the required clearance for installation.
- the crossmember is installed so that the exhaust clearance humps are closed on the top and open on the bottom.
- the primary frame change on this generation of vehicles is beginning with 1984 models and the implementation of the 2004R transmission which required positioning the crossmember further to the rear of the vehicle. This is evidenced by 2 sets of frame holes for the crossmember on the driver side of the vehicle. G force has developed the frame extension (fE-100) to duplicate this longer frame on the early generation vehicles. The fE-100 needs to be purchased separately to install p/n RCG-T56 into a 78-83 vehicle. Note: while this change was platform wide beginning in 1984, some 1983 Hurst Olds are known to have the 2004R transmission and thus the longer frame rail.